DENTAL CROWNS IN LONDON, ON
A crown (or cap) is a cover for your tooth. It makes the tooth look normal and strong. A tooth that is not able to be fixed with fillings or other dental restorations may need a crown. An inlay, onlay or overlay is similar but it only covers part of the tooth.
There are different kinds of crowns. Some are made of porcelain, others are made of metal with porcelain on top, and then there is zirconia. You may need one kind or another – it will depend on what you want. But these crowns last a long time, even if they get worn out from normal use just like other dental work.
REASONS YOU MIGHT NEED A DENTAL CROWN
- Broken tooth/teeth
- Teeth fractures
- Decayed teeth
- Root Canals
THE PROCESS OF DENTAL CROWNS
Getting a crown is a two-step process.
- First, a dentist takes molds of the tooth.
- They will then use these molds to create your crown. In order to make sure that the crown fits right, you can get a temporary one while they work on the permanent one in their lab.
- A temporary crown is put on a tooth. Your dentist will numb the area and take out any decay.
- They will also shape the surface of your tooth so that the crown fits right.
- The dentist will then place the crown and use a special cement to hold it in place.
- Your dentist will need to check if your bite feels comfortable before they finish putting the crown on.
- Your second appointment will start with your dentist removing the temporary crown.
- They’ll clean your teeth before placing the new crown on.
- Then they’ll check that your mouth is in a good position and is biting correctly.
Following your final appointment, you are advised to have regular dental checkups to keep an eye on this.
Call us at 519-451-4490 or schedule an appointment for a consultation or to book yourself into getting fitted for a crown.